Safe, Nourishing, Accessible Community Kitchen (S.N.A.C.K.): A Community Kitchen Manual for Public Health Emergencies
Kathleen N. Cruzada, Leilani B. Mercado-Asis, Julie T. Li-Yu, Roland M. Panaligan
Apr 2022 DOI 10.35460/2546-1621.2021-0092 Access
Objective: The project aims to develop a community kitchen manual for public health emergencies.
Participants: The officers and members of the Samahan ng Nagkakaisang Kababaihan ng BASECO served as community respondents for this project. These eight women were in charge of the community kitchen operations, particularly the feeding program during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Implementation: The whole project comes in three phases. The design stage was executed in phase one of this project. The phase one also focused on the development of manual content based on available literatures and considered the interviews conducted with respondents.
Discussion: The manual contains guidelines on food safety and meal preparations. Based on the interview, the proponents identified specific contents that must be included in the guidelines, as compared with the need to improve current operations of the group’s community kitchen. Looking at the activities of the community, the proponents indicated the food flow guidelines to ensure a safe, nourishing and accessible community kitchen (S.N.A.C.K).
Conclusion: The designed community kitchen manual may be of use to lay groups putting up community kitchens, since there is no existing manual in the Philippines. However, phases two and three must be conducted to validate its usefulness and accuracy in the field.
Keywords: Community Kitchen, Public Health Emergency, Food Security, Food Safety, Nutritious Meals, BASECO
- UNDRR. Disaster Risk Reduction in the Philippines: Status Report 2019.
- Krishnamurthy PK, Lewis K, Choularton RJ. A methodological framework for rapidly assessing the impacts of climate risk on national-level food security through a vulnerability index. Glob Environ Change. 2014;25:121–32. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2013.11.004
- Global Hunger Index (GHI). 2020 GHI Results. Available from: https://www.globalhungerindex.org/results.html
- Tarasuk V, Reynolds R. A qualitative study of community kitchens as a response to income-related food insecurity. Can J Diet Pract Res. 1999 Spring;60(1):11–6. Available from: https://search.proquest.com/docview/220817842?accountid=41849
- Berry S, Draper C. Community Kitchens: Fostering Social Relationships, Economic Development and Access to Fresh Produce. 2014. Available from: https://sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/public_health/documents/community_kitchens_bri
- Orgut IS, Brock L Iii, Davis LB, Ivy JS, Jiang S, Morgan SD, et al. Achieving Equity, Effectiveness, and Efficiency in Food Bank Operations: Strategies for Feeding America with Implications for Global Hunger Relief. 2016.
- Huizar MI, Arena R, Laddu DR. The Global Food Syndemic: The Impact of Food Insecurity, Malnutrition and Obesity on the Healthspan Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2021;64:105–7. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pcad.2020.07.002
- Damiles AJ. R10 LGUs ensure nourishment of COVID-19 frontliners. 2020 April 16. Available from: https://www.nnc.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout
- World Food Programme (WFP). 2017 Medical Checks for Children. 2020. Available from: https://docs.wfp.org/api/documents/WFP0000116067/download/?_ga=2.107614337.2
- Valenzuela VPB, Esteban M, Onuki M. Perception of Disasters and Land Reclamation in an Informal Settlement on Reclaimed Land: Case of the BASECO Compound, Manila, the Philippines. Int J Disaster Risk Sci. 2020;11(5):640–54. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13753-020-00300-y
- Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI). Pinggang Pinoy . N.d. Available from: https://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph/index.php/tools-and-standard/pinggang-pinoy/94-pinggang-pinoy/190-pinggang-pinoy
- World Food Programme (WFP). The WFP Food Basket. 2021. Available from: https://www.wfp.org/wfp-food-basket
- Garcia G. San Roque Residents Cook Up Community Kitchens During Wait for 'Ayuda'. 2021 April 6. Available from: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/04/06/2089395/san-roque-residents-cook-community-kitchens-during-wait-ayuda
- Khatibi Z. Pandemic Unemployment Levels in the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises: Evidence from the Philippines. International Journal of Progressive Research in Science and Engineering. 2021;2(4).
Articles related to the one you are viewing
There are currently no results to show, please try again later
Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, which permits use, share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material, as long as you give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. You may not use the material for commercial purposes. If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.