IsiPAN (Isinusulong ang Psychiatry At Neurology): Kalusugan ng Diwa, Utak at Kaisipan tungo sa malusog na Pamayanan at Kinabukasan. A Community-Based Mental Health Program
Joseree-Ann S. Catindig, Roland M. Panaligan
Apr 2022 DOI 10.35460/2546-1621.2020-0044 Access
Currently, mental health issues are of greatest importance to society as it is considered to be a growing invisible pandemic. It is strongly suggested to address concerns in the field of neurology and psychiatry, especially at the community level. One of the most popular interventions that the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends is to bring health promotion to the periphery. With this in mind, a public health campaign in one of the University of Santo Tomas Simbahayan partner communities, Kasiglahan Village Rodriguez, Rizal was born. This project aims to bring health awareness to the community, especially at the grassroots levels involving the municipal rural health unit, barangay health care workers and allied specialist stakeholders. They were taught symptom recognition, proper referral to specialists and prevention measures that the community may benefit from, which is much needed at this day and age. Further, this program can serve as a precursor to more public health initiatives regarding mental health in the community to spread awareness and aid in the prevention of mental health illnesses.
Keywords: mental health community-based program, public health program
- World Health Organization. Promoting Mental Health. [Internet][cited 2019 November 3]. Available from: https://www.who.int/westernpacific/activities/promoting-mental-health
- Cuevas, FP. 2018. DOH Mental Health Programs. [Internet]. [cited 2019 November 3]. Available from: https://www.doh.gov.ph/national-mental-health-program
- Philippine Mental Health Association PMHA. 2018. PMHA Community-Based Mental Health Program 2018. [cited 2019 November 3]. Available from: PMHA Office.
- Tronco, A. 6 principles of effective mental health program. [Internet]. [updated 2017 August 24; cited 2019 November 3. Available from: http://pchrd.dost.gov.ph/index.php/events/6292-6-principles-of-effective-mental-health-program
- Rodriguez Rizal Municipal Report. Available from: Rodriguez Rizal Municipal Office.
- Rodriguez Rizal report Philatlas. San Jose Rodriguez, Rizal. [Internet]. [cited 2019 December 20. Available from: https://www.philatlas.com/luzon/r04a/rizal/rodriguez/san-jose.html
- Quezon City Council. 2015. An ordinance providing for a community-based mental health program and delivery system in Quezon City and appropriating the necessary funds. [cited 2019 November 3]. Available from: http://quezoncitycouncil.ph/ordinance/SP/sp-2456,%20s-2015-1.pdf
Articles related to the one you are viewing
There are currently no results to show, please try again later
Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, which permits use, share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material, as long as you give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. You may not use the material for commercial purposes. If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.