Research and the Social Agenda: The Tale of Two Rivers (Of Dead Rivers and the River of Life)
Maria Minerva P. Calimag
May 2020 DOI 10.35460/2546-1621.2020-0024 Access
This oration was delivered by the author during the annual discurso de apertura at the formal opening of the academic year 2019-2020 at the University of Santo Tomas last August 1, 2019. The discurso started as a Dominican Catholic tradition on July 16, 1866 as an annual event. The professor or dean assigned the preparation of this academic paper is appointed by the rector of the university a few months prior to the opening of each school year.
- Pe JL. The University of Santo Tomas in the twentieth century. University of Santo Tomas Press; 1973.
- De Ramos NV. I walked with twelve UST rectors. Quezon City: A.G. Ablaza and C. de Ramos Ablaza; 2000.
- Martin Luther King Jr. I have a dream: Writings and speeches that changed the world. James Melvin Washington, editor. HarperOne; 2003.
- Papa Francisco. Laudato Si: sobrecuidado de la casa común [Internet]. 2015.
- Gore Al. An inconvenient truth: The planetary emergency of global warming and what we can do about it. Rodale. 2006.
- Ocampo Country report on climate change policies, green jobs and decent work in the Philippines. 2015.
- Stockdale T, Balmaseda M, Ferranti L. 2015-2016 El Niño and beyond. Newsletter. 2017.
- Nakamura M, Pendlebury D, Schnell J, Szomszor M. Navigating the structure of research on sustainable development goals. Policy. 2019 Apr.
- Programme UND. Sustainable development goals. [cited 2019 Jun 26]. Available at: https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/sustainable-development-goals.html
- Smith A. The theory of moral sentiments. 2011;161–2.
- Marmot M. The health gap: The challenge of an unequal world. Bloomsbury Publishing; 2015.
- Marmot M. The status syndrome: How social standing affects our health and longevity. Times Books; 1 Apr 2007.
- Reid J. Alienation [Internet]. 1972. Available at: https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_167194_smxx.pdf
- Islam SN and Winkel J. Climate change and social inequality. United Nations Department of Economics and Social Affairs. 2017.
- Calimag MMP. The social and cultural dimensions of health as a research agenda: establishing the need for a Research Interest Group (RIG) in social medicine. Journal of Medicine University of Santo Tomas. 2008;1(1):1–4.
- Adelman C. Kurt Lewin and the origins of action research. Educational Action Research. 1993 Jan 1;1(1):7–24.
- Closing the gap in a generation: Health equity through action on the social determinants of health. 2008. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, Commission on Social Determinants of Health.
- Carel Ijsselmuiden. Executive Director of the Council for Health Research and Development (COHRED) Speech during the global health forum in Manila, Philippines. 2015.
- Eckelman MJ, Sherman J. Environmental impacts of the US health care system and effects on public health. PloS one. 2016 Jun 9;11(6):e0157014.
- Sulbaek Andersen MP, Sander SP, Nielsen OJ, Wagner DS, Sanford Jr TJ, Wallington TJ. Inhalation anaesthetics and climate change. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2010 Dec 1;105(6):760–6.
- Dizon N. The Marcopper disaster: A tragedy that continues in people’s veins. 3 April 2019.
- Erram, M., 2019. Lapu-Lapu Cenro Retrieves Sacks Of Floating Hospital Wastes From Mactan Channel. [Internet] [cited 2019 Jun 26] Available at: https://www.google.com.ph/amp/s/cebudailynews.inquirer.net/211805/sacks-of-hospital-wastes-hauled-off-mactan-channel-as-lapu-lapu-cenro-starts-sea-patrol/amp
- Añonuevo-Arcega M. Pasig River is world’s 2nd biggest source of plastic waste for its size-study. 13 June 2017.
- Bengwayan, M., 2019. Many Philippine Rivers Are Dying – Oped. [Internet] Eurasia Review - News and Analysis. [cited 2019 Jun 26]. Available at: https://www.eurasiareview.com/29042019-many-philippine-rivers-are-dying-oped.
- Antonovsky A. Health, stress and coping. Jossey-Bass; 1979.
- Fraser R and Hill S. The roots of health: Realizing the potential of complementary medicine. Green Books for the Schumacher Society; 2001.
- Ashoka. 12 great quotes from Gandhi on his birthday. 2 Oct 2012.
- Backley S. The champion in all of us: 12 rules for success. Mirage Publishing; 2013.
- Pring GW. SLAPPs: Strategic lawsuits against public participation; 1989.
- Smith MD. The truth about “The Arc of the Moral Universe” Jan 4, 2018.
- Tiny Buddha: Simple wisdom for complex lives [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jun 28] Available at: https://tinybuddha.com/wisdom-quotes/end-life-really-matters-not-bought-built-not-got-shared-not-competence-character-not-success-significance/
- Cadoré B. Speech delivered during the mass at the UST Hospital blessing. July 4, 2019.
Articles related to the one you are viewing
There are currently no results to show, please try again later
CC BY: Open Access Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/