Issues and Challenges in Implementing Research Initiatives at the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Santo Tomas
Consuelo B. Gonzalez-Suarez, Ma Lourdes Domingo-Maglinao, Remedios Dee-Chan, Melinda M. Atienza
Oct 2019 DOI 10.35460/2546-1621.2019-0047 Access
- The Health and Allied Science Cluster composed of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, College of Nursing and College of Rehabilitation Sciences had an acceptable accomplishment for research in Academic Year 2016 – 2017 in terms of faculty members involved in research, number of publications, number of research collaborations.
- The faculty members are actively involved in researches with medical students, residents and fellows,
- There is a large number of researches involving the faculty members in collaboration with the medical students but these researches await translation into publications.
- The number of research publications and external grants are within the target set for AY 2018 -2019. However, most of these were obtained by less than 20% of full time faculty members. These results imply that there is still a need to improve the research environment with emphasis on acquisition of research grants and research publication at the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery.
- Strategies are being implemented to improve the research productivity of FMS.
- University. Merriam Webster Dictionary. 2019.
- Center of Excellence. Commission on Higher Education; 2019.
- Guellec D, Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie B. R&D and productivity growth: Panel data analysis of 16 OECD Countries. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. STI Working Papers; 2001.
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Higher education in Asia: expanding out, expanding up: the rise of graduate education and university research. UNESCO; 2014.
- QS World University Ranking. 2019.
- QS University Ranking: Asia 2019. 2019.
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. 2019.
- Philippine National Health Research System; 2019.
Articles related to the one you are viewing
There are currently no results to show, please try again later
CC BY: Open Access Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/