K.L.L. Pineda, C. Gonzalez-Suarez, R.V. Espino, C.J. Escuadra, S.A. Balid-Attwell, K. Devora, D. Mendoza
May 2020 DOI 10.35460/2546-1621.2019-0018 Access
Objective: This paper aims to determine the causal relationship of eating habits, smoking, alcohol drinking and sleeping in overweight and obese college students.
Participants: There were 850 female students with age range from 15 to 39 and 551 male students with age range from 15 to 25 years old.
Methods: A cross-sectional study using a questionnaire on eating habits was adapted from a previously published study by Ruka Sakamaki, 2005. The height and weight were calculated for body mass index. Waist circumference was also measured. Simple logistic regression and multiple regression were utilized to analyze the collected data.
Results: There were significantly more males who were overweight and obese when compared with females. Multivariate analysis showed that eating breakfast and vegetables and not having frequent snacks are protective factors for being overweight and obese in both genders.
Conclusion: The study presented the importance of having breakfast, eating vegetables and taking less snacks for the prevention of excess weight and obesity among college students.
Keywords: eating habit, obesity, overweight, college students
- Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C. Rising burden of obesity in Asia. Journal of Obesity. 2010 Aug 30;2010:868573.
- Gumaro M. 8th National Nutrition Survey. FNRI Website. http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph/index.php/nutrition-statistic/19-nutrition-statistic/118-8th-national-nutrition-survey. Accessed May 10, 2018.
- Bushman B. American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM's Complete Guide to Fitness & Health, 2E. Human Kinetics; 2017 Jan 23.
- Gonzalez-Suarez CB, Grimmer-Somers K. The association of physical activity and physical fitness with pre-adolescent obesity: an observational study in Metromanila, Philippines. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2011 Aug;8(6):804–10.
- Sun Y, Sekine M, Kagamimori S. Lifestyle and overweight among Japanese adolescents: The Toyama Birth Cohort Study. Journal of Epidemiology. 2009;19(6):303-10. doi:10.2188/jea.je20080095.
- Azadbakht L, Hajishafiee M, Golshahi J, Esmaillzadeh A. Snacking behavior and obesity among female adolescents in Isfahan, Iran. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2016 Jul 3;35(5):405–12.
- Magbuhat T, Borazon EQ, Villarino JB. Food preferences and dietary intakes of Filipino adolescents in metro Manila, the Philippines. Malaysian Journal of Nutrition. 2011 Mar 1;17(1):31–41.
- Tzischinsky O. The association between sleeping patterns, eating habits, obesity, and quality of life among Israeli adolescents. Cogent Psychology. 2016 Dec 31;3(1):1223903.
- Racette SB, Deusinger SS, Strube MJ, Highstein GR, Deusinger RH. Weight changes, exercise, and dietary patterns during freshman and sophomore years of college. Journal of American College Health. 2005 May 1;53(6):245–51.
- Lee J, Johnson C, Rice J, Warren CW, Chen T. Smoking beliefs and behavior among youth in South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2013 Sep 1;20(3):319–26.
- Seo DC, Huang Y. Systematic review of social network analysis in adolescent cigarette smoking behavior. Journal of School Health. 2012 Jan;82(1):21–7.
- Hingorjo MR, Syed S, Qureshi MA. Overweight and obesity in students of a dental college of Karachi: lifestyle influence and measurement by an appropriate anthropometric index. JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association. 2009 Aug;59(8):528.
- Barr SI, DiFrancesco L, Fulgoni VL. Association of breakfast consumption with body mass index and prevalence of overweight/obesity in a nationally-representative survey of Canadian adults. Nutrition Journal. 2015 Dec;15(1):33.
- Kutty NA, Ru TY, Chiang VH, Zhi WY. Association of dietary habits and body mass index among university students in Malaysia: a cross-sectional study. J Nurs Health Sci. 2015;4(5):78–85.
- Gonzalez-Suarez CB, Lee-Pineda K, Zamora MT, Sibug EO, Velasco ZF, Grimmer-Somers K. Cardiovascular fitness and caloric intake in Filipino obese children: an observational study. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012 Jul 1;4(3):88–97.
- Gonzalez-Suarez CB, Lee-Pineda K, Caralipio ND, Grimmer-Somers K, Sibug EO, Velasco ZF. Is what Filipino children eat between meals associated with body mass index? Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 2015 Mar;27(2):NP650–61.
- Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM, Dietz WH. Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ. 2000 May 6;320(7244):1240.
- Sakamaki R, Amamoto R, Mochida Y, Shinfuku N, Toyama K. A comparative study of food habits and body shape perception of university students in Japan and Korea. Nutrition Journal. 2005 Dec;4(1):31.
- Yahia N, Achkar A, Abdallah A, Rizk S. Eating habits and obesity among Lebanese university students. Nutrition Journal. 2008 Dec;7(1):32.
- Al-Rethaiaa AS, Fahmy AE, Al-Shwaiyat NM. Obesity and eating habits among college students in Saudi Arabia: a cross sectional study. Nutrition Journal. 2010 Dec;9(1):39.
- 36-Item Short Form Survey from the RAND Medical Outcomes Study. RAND Corporation. Available at: https://www.rand.org/health/surveys_tools/mos/36-item-short-form.html. Accessed March 31, 2018.
- Pengpid S, Peltzer K. Prevalence of overweight and underweight and its associated factors among male and female university students in Thailand. HOMO-Journal of Comparative Human Biology. 2015 Apr 1;66(2):176–86.
- Thompson-McCormick JJ, Thomas JJ, Bainivualiku A, Khan AN, Becker AE. Breakfast skipping as a risk correlate of overweight and obesity in school-going ethnic Fijian adolescent girls. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2010;19(3):372.
- Saikia D, Ahmed SJ, Saikia H, Sarma R. Overweight and obesity in early adolescents and its relation to dietary habit and physical activity: A study in Dibrugarh town. Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health. 2016 Jan 1;4:S22–8.
- Gazibara T, Tepavcevic DB, Popovic A, Pekmezovic T. Eating habits and body-weights of students of the University of Belgrade, Serbia: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Health, Population, and Nutrition. 2013 Sep;31(3):330.
- Al-Hazzaa HM, Abahussain NA, Al-Sobayel HI, Qahwaji DM, Musaiger AO. Lifestyle factors associated with overweight and obesity among Saudi adolescents. BMC Public Health. 2012 Dec;12(1):354.
- Gonzales JT, Raaij JV, Narciso ZV. Consumption pattern for fruits and vegetables of some Filipino adolescents in selected public schools in the city of Manila. J Nutr Disorders Ther. 2016;6(4):1–7.
- Gunes FE, Bekiroglu N, Imeryuz N, Agirbasli M. Relation between eating habits and a high body mass index among freshman students: a cross-sectional study. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2012 Jun 1;31(3):167–74.
- Waweru WR, Marete OT. Estimation of relationship between eating habits and body mass index of students in Mount Kenya University, Rwanda.
- Febro RD, Ramayan AJ, Sepe AR, Burgos JV, Lorion AP, Macaraeg ML. Snack Choices and Nutritional Awareness of Students in Iligan City National High School.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, George-Lang A, Buchner A. G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods. 2007;39(2):175–91.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, George-Lang A, Buchner A. Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 2009;41(4):1149-1160 doi:10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149.
Articles related to the one you are viewing
There are currently no results to show, please try again later
CC BY: Open Access Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/